Interesting how this might seem to be a confession – I smoke.
Observations on Smoking and Being a Smoker:
- I have smoked on and off for nearly seven years now.
- I smoke the evil Marlboro Lights, because everyone knows that that’s all you are allowed to smoke if you don’t want to look like a bookie, a ponce or a dirty old man.
- I smoke around 10 cigarettes a day, which is remarkably little I think.
- I started smoking during my undergraduate finals at Bristol University. Almost everyone I know smokes or has recently quit, but it wasn’t peer pressure that started me off, it was wanting some excuse to duck away from revision and sit on my roof in the summer.
- Smokers Anonymous is a website. It isn’t what you think it is.
- Lots of other gay people smoke too. I think they think it keeps them slim, but actually I hear that that’s a load of crap. I am gay, I smoke, and I am not fat. But I don’t think the three things are related.
- Smoking makes you smell of smoke apparently. But I have no sense of smell anyway, and everyone I want to sleep with seems to smoke anyway, so it’s not like that really matters to me.
- I decided to stop smoking on my 30th birthday. But now it seems like a awful lot of pressure waiting two and a half years to stop doing something. So I might stop earlier.
- When I was in America I stayed with Kerry and Sean. They are gay too. They are not fat. They smoke as well. I repeat, I don’t think these things are related.
- People in California don’t seem to like smokers very much. They make them smoke outdoors. But then in California it is really nice outside most of the time, so it’s not that big a deal. If they tried to do that in the UK there would be uproar. People would still stand outside in the rain though if it meant they could have a cigarette.