Skip to the content
- Hillary Clinton announces her candidacy for the Presidency of the United States on her site It’s all a little bit Oprah, but it’s certainly interesting.
- The Guardian reports on Jade Goody’s eviction from the Celebrity Big Brother house I watched the eviction with a couple of friends and we agreed that whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, the Big Brother episode worked really hard to get Jade out of the building. Any illusion of balance was gone.
- Media Guardian talks about the impact the Big Brother race row could have on the respective futures of Channel 4 and Endemol In the end, it’s a TV show, and I suspect six months down the line it will seem like a very small event indeed, although the repercussions themselves will last and last…
- There’s another interesting Media Guardian article about the effect of the license fee settlement on the BBC I could write a substantial rant about how much of the BBC’s time is spent on getting the next license fee. Instead, I’ll just remind the Guardian that some of the BBC services they describe are BBC Worldwide ventures and not funded by the fee at all…
- Flickr plus the semantically analysed structures of advertising language equals auto-generated advertising Honestly, this is the kind of thing that should be in art galleries at the moment rather than on the internet – this stuff is the readymades of the early 21st century…
- Upcoming photos from Simon Willison and the Order of the Phoenix have been released I’m sorry, but really, my poor old colleague is going to have endless trouble with this one…
- I’m watching Contact on television again and finding it again troubling in terms of its depiction of the tensions between reason and faith Now I read the book probably twenty years ago now, and I don’t remember it in enormous detail, but it seems to me that the film makes the tension between science and faith the core of its narrative, much more so than the book.
4 replies on “Links for 2007-01-22”
You think those photos of Simon Potter/Harry Willison are bad?
Just wait until the bootleg snaps of Daniel Radcliffe in “Equus” start circulating…
Now I’m just waiting for trabby Bart to be overly excited.. Oh wait! He already is! 🙂
I think she’ll definitely win the next up either way – and for better, not worse. Too bad she’s such a strategic she didn’t gamble and went up against Bush on his second, anyway, I think. But heck! Can’t get much worse now, except that Israel will invade Iran..
Surely the real tension in Contact is that between the audience and the hugely disappointing anti-climax?
Still, it’s worth watching for that WHUMP WHUMP sound effect.
I’m waiting for the DVD extras where Harry Potter tries to teach Dumbledore about OpenID and Django. In fact ‘Ajaxology’ sounds suspiciously like a Hogwarts class.